Going on a detox diet or cleanse doesn’t have to mean eating completely new foods. These 10 produce-aisle favorites are versatile and can easily be the foundation of a detox diet or cleanse.
1. Beets. You can eat the beets raw or juiced or cooked and steam the greens. Try Mark Bittman’s Raw Beet Salad.
2. Arugula. Great in a salad as a more nutritious alternative to iceberg lettuce. One of my favorite arugula recipes is baby arugula, extra-virgin olive oil, slivered almonds, and sea salt blended into a pesto. Delicious!
3. Blueberries. If you can’t find organic blueberries, use lots of water and a fruit and vegetable wash to help remove the pesticides. Try it as a snack, in a smoothie, salad, hot quinoa or oatmeal porridge, or as a dessert.
4. Kale. Whole Foods Market makes a delicious kale salad, made of curly kale (pictured), dried cranberries, and nuts in a lemon vinaigrette. Also look out for mild-tasting, tender lacinato kale – toss the leaves in olive oil and bake them to make kale chips or steam them and eat them as a side dish. A reader favorite is food52.com’s One Pot Kale and Quinoa Pilaf. Although the recipe contains cheese, you can omit it, or save the recipe for after your detox.
5. Apples. Toss a washed apple into your bag in case hunger pangs strike. Because of the fiber content, apples make a filling snack or dessert. Try sprinkling cinnamon on raw apple slices.
6. Cucumbers. High in water and potassium, cucumbers sticks are an easy snack (with hummus and gluten-free crackers). Also try juicing them or adding them to any salad.
7. Garlic. An easy way to add some interest to a detox or cleanse is to lightly saute minced garlic in olive oil and sprinkle it on steamed dark green vegetables.
8. Sweet potatoes. Boiled or steamed, mashed or whole, sweet potatoes are delicious!. Look for garnet yams (pictured).
9. Cauliflower. Try steaming it and then shredding it in a food processor until it is the size of grains of rice.
10. Lemon. Squeeze lemon slices into water and drink it throughout the day or make a lemon juice and extra-virgin olive oil vinaigrette.