If you’re trying to up your intake of vegetables, trying to lose weight, or are cutting back on wheat, gluten, grains, or carbohydrates in general, you have to try cauliflower rice.
There is actually no rice in cauliflower rice, it’s simply cauliflower that has been cut up into rice-sized pieces in a food processor or blender (you can chop it by hand if you’re good with a knife). You use it as a substitute for rice. Although it’s still unmistakably cauliflower, it’s mild-tasting.
Don’t be fooled by its lack of color – cauliflower is very nutritious. One cup of cauliflower contains only 28 calories, about 5 grams of carbohydrates (2.8 grams of it is fiber), and vitamin C. Like its cousins broccoli, kale, cabbage, collard greens and Brussels sprouts, cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable and is rich in cancer-fighting phytochemicals such as glucosinolates.
Cauliflower Rice Recipe
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 2 minutes
1 head of cauliflower (or however much you want to use), washed and dried.
Food processor, mini-chopper, or blender
You don’t need to use a food processor – you can cut the cauliflower by hand into small rice-sized pieces.
If you prefer, you can also steam the rice on the stovetop instead of using a microwave.
1. To make plain cauliflower rice, all you do is cut the cauliflower into pieces. I used my mini-blender, so I had to cut them into ½ inch pieces. The florets provide the most rice-like consistency. You can use the florets only, and save the stems for other dishes like soup, or you can use the florets and the stems (remove any tough parts).
2. In a food processor, mini-chopper, or blender, pulse the cauliflower pieces until they are the size and consistency of rice.
3. Put it in a microwave safe bowl. (You can steam the rice on the stove if you prefer instead of microwaving).
4. I add about a teaspoon of water to each cup of cauliflower rice. Just enough to moisten it. If you add too much, the cauliflower will become sticky.
5. Cover it and microwave until tender. For 1 cup of cauliflower rice, I set it at medium for two minutes.